Saturday, September 10, 2011

Behold the Kingdom - "The Eyes of the Wicked Will Fail"


Behold the Kingdom - The Eyes of the Wicked Will Fail
2011, Rottweiler

1. We Are Zion (Prayer of the Messiah)
2. Restoration
3. Sown in Dishonor
4. Living Hope
5. El Shaddai
6. The Suffering Servant
7. Cut You Down
8. Prideful Demise
9. Fall of the Philistines
10. The Valley of Elah

I got an email by the head of Rottweiler records want to know if I reviewed CDs. He gave me a digital copy of Behold the Kingdom's The Eyes of the Wicked Will Fail. I'm always nervous when people want to give me CDs to review. The albums on this website are usually things I know I like or have something to say about. I really hate to have to give a bad review for something that somebody's trying to promote. Luckily, I don't have to do that here - but not for the reason you think.

I've never been a fan of deathcore/metalcore. That's what Behold the Kingdom is: hard, heavy, brutal deathcore. I'm still not really a fan so I can't give this album the fair review it deserves. I like the thick, heavy guitars and I do appreciate the bold Christian stance the band takes. However, all the "core" trappings are there, namely disjointed song structure. I NEED to have some coherent structure in my music. It's one of the reason why I don't like bands like Dream Theater that are big on technical wankery but low on hooks. It just seems like "core" bands just bash through a song and don't leave me anything to hang on to. I think my problem is that I'm old. I'm an old man and I just need some good old fashioned verse/chorus/bridge like gramma used to make. Now I realize there are lots of people out there who love this style. If so, you'll probably be amazed at just how heavy Behold the Kingdom is. So yeah - if you're into "core"-type music (or insanely heavy music in general) definitely check these guys out.

Useless Fact: I think these guys are from Ft. Wayne - along with one of my top favorite bands, Grave Robber.

No comments:

Post a Comment