Thursday, June 14, 2012

Dream Theater - "Images and Words"



Dream Theater - Images and Words
1992, Atlantic

1. Pull Me Under
2. Another Day
3. Take the Time
4. Surrounded
5. Metropolis, Pt. 1 (The Miracle and the Sleeper)
6. Under a Glass Moon
7. Wait for Sleep
8. Learning to Live

You know what a good day is? Suddenly remembering that you have two Dream Theater CDs that for some reason never went on the ipod. In my Octavarium review I mentioned that Images and Words was the only Dream Theater CD that I really, really liked (that's changing, however). Hearing it again after a few years reminds me of why I liked it in the first place - it's dang near perfect. Everything is in place, not one note is wasted. It even has sort of a commercial sound to the production. I downloaded "Pull Me Under" on Kazaa way back when and it was so powerful, yet so melodic that I immediately went out and bought this disc. Thankfully, the entire album is full of cool parts. I love the drum part in the beginning of "Under a Glass Moon." It's still a pretty tight disc despite the epic length of some of the songs. If you've ever wondered what Dream Theater was all about, Images and Words is a great place to start. I still can't believe I've had this for years and not listened to it until now!

Useless Fact: Metropolis Pt. 2 did happen as a huge concept album. I don't know any more than that though.

No comments:

Post a Comment