Saturday, January 1, 2022

Favorite Albums of 2021

Boy, these years don’t get any better do they? Not only did we still have COVID everywhere, I got divorced, lost my mom, and got diabetes. Oh, and there was some other not fun stuff too that I don’t want to talk about here. As far as music goes… not much for new releases. At least, new releases that weren’t death metal. So this is more of a “favorite stuff I found this year.” There’s gonna be a LOT of death metal here. No apologies. Well, without further ado….

Favorite Albums of 2021

Imperial Triumphant, Alphaville – This came out in 2020 but I found it in January. The band’s brand of chaotic, discordant avant-garde jazz black metal is just what I needed. Not sure I would listen to album after album of this but Alphaville is compelling and disturbing in the best possible way.

Detritus, Myths – I was super excited for this one because I’ve always loved this band from my short pants days. Myths did not disappoint. It’s a little more on the progressive side than the thrash side but the songs were all earworms. It also seems like there’s some LGBTQ support in the lyrics which is a good thing to see from a Christian band.

Mangled Carpenter, Under the Shadow – Good heavens…this is probably the most intense thing I’ve ever listened too. Just crushing and brutal and wonderful. I’m still not convinced there isn’t like four drummers in this band.

Shadowmourne, The Frozen Throne – I heard “Frostmourne Hungers” from somewhere and I was instantly hooked. Death/black metal with a sort of atmospheric edge to it. It’s haunting, dark, and cold. Awesome sounding growls (a weird thing to compliment, I know).

Frost Like Ashes, The Fellowship of Suffering – I’ve always heard of Frost Like Ashes but never actually listened to them. Their new album is awesome. It’s short but in a good way that leaves you wanting more.

Gospod, Israel’s Exodus – Hey, who wouldn’t love some Russian Orthodox death metal about Israel’s Exodus? In all the extreme music I heard this was definitely a novel take on the genre and great album in its own right.

XL’s Innovation, Dynamics of Relation – XL takes a break from doing his rap/metal combo to put out a jangly alt-pop record. Who’d have known this would, hands down, be one of my favorite albums this year. The songs are so catchy and will get stuck in your brain forever. The lyrical content, regarding XL’s marriage struggles, nearly wrecked me sometimes. I really hope he does a couple more of these because this was top tier.

Favorite Band I Discovered This Year

Vials of Wrath – You ever find a band that is just what you need at just the right time in your life? Vials of Wrath was that for me. It was atmospheric, ambient black metal. It’s intense yet oddly peaceful at the same time. The lyrics center around communing with God in nature and seeking peace in solitude. I never got tired of listening to this band. I immediately bought everything I could get my hands on. Seeking Refuge, Days Without Names, and Dark Winter Memories are the full-length albums, but they have other EPs and stuff that I devoured as well. I love this band so much they might join the great four (i.e. my four favorite bands of all time).

Favorite Reissues of this Year

Petra – Girder Records released a slew of Petra reissues this year: Washes Whiter Than, Never Say Die, More Power To Ya, Not of This World, Beat the System, Back to the Street, This Means War, and On Fire! I didn’t buy all of them because no one likes Washes Whiter Than and I already have the original of On Fire! But I did pick up the rest. These are probably the most high-quality reissues I’ve ever seen. Everything is fantastic – from the packaging to the remastering. I could have maybe used some liner notes or reflections from the band members but that’s nitpicking. I’m so glad they reissued these because my vault had a big hole where these albums needed to go.

Undercover, Balance of Power – Missed out on this one back in the day but this reissue is awesome. Great packaging, naturally. I think this one was Kickstarted.

Disappointments of 2021

The Choir, Deep Cuts – I didn’t have a good feeling about this album when Steve Hindalong posted a video of him reading some of the lyrics from the title track. They seemed…well….kind of generic. And unfortunately, the album also seems kind of generic. Granted there are some great tracks here that I really like. But there’s also too many tracks I can only describe as “lazy.” Like…these guys are not interested in innovating any more. It’s not a bad album, but these guys can do way better.

Starflyer 59, Vanity – I really enjoyed Young In My Head when it came out. This album, like Deep Cuts, isn’t bad. Just…really mellow. But not necessarily in a good way. I listened to it several times and it just didn’t make much of an impression on me.

Well…that’s what I got. I’m glad to see this horrible, wretched year end. I’m not even sure I can say I have “hope” for next year. I just need it to be a little easier than this year. Even a fraction.

Until next time!

 

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your updates whenever they come out. Prayers for what sounds like has been a hard time.

    Seeing you like Vials you might be into the band I “sing” for. Also semi-out-of-Tennessee as Vials is. My bandmate lives in Lithuania.
    Jonava.bandcamp.com

    If you like it and would like a free copy let me know

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where have I been and how am I now just reading this? Hopefully 2022 will serve up some better music and some positive life plot-twists. I didn't know about the die-uh-beetus... it's all them southern MoonPies.

    ReplyDelete