Thursday, May 13, 2010

Lost Dogs - "The Lost Cabin and the Mystery Trees"


Lost Dogs - The Lost Cabin and the Mystery Trees
2006, Fools of the World

1. Broken Like Brooklyn
2. Devil's Elbow
3. The Lost Cabin and the Mystery Trees
4. Whispering Memories
5. One More Day
6. This Business is Goin' Down
7. Hardening My Heart
8. Only One Bum in Corona Del Mar
9. Get Me Ready
10. Burn It Up
11. That's Where Jesus Is

After Gene's unfortunate passing I lost interest in the Dogs. Part of the reason was because I had gotten out of music all together and the other is because...well... I just missed Gene too much. I never thought the Dogs' output was as good. Sure I can listen to Nazarene Crying Towel every now and then, but it's not one of my favorites. However, I'm happy to say that the Dogs have truly been reborn with Lost Cabin. Steve Hindalong, drummer for The Choir, joins the fold as a full-fledged dog and it's nice to have his eccentric drumming style backing up the band. As for the songs... they're wonderful. It's one of the few albums I've listened to all the way through and then immediately wanted to listen to again. While I still cringe a little at the weepy steel guitar in some of the "countrier" songs, the songs are strong enough that it doesn't bother me as much. I think mainly because it's not accompanied by some redneck whining. Anyway, probably the only song I don't care for is "One More Day." It's the only song penned by Mike Roe and I don't really have a good reason for not liking it as it's not a bad song - I just get bored with it. I really like the melancholy "Broken Like Brooklyn," the silly "Only One Bum in Corona Del Mar," and "Burn It Up." The latter sounds like a genuine song from The Choir (not surprising since it was written by Derri and Steve). I'm happy to say that the Lost Dogs are back and I'm glad I took a chance on 'em!

Useless Fact: The title of the album and the song are based off of a legend about some cabin under which a cache of gold was supposedly buried.

2 comments:

  1. And the last track is one of Terry's "Instant Christian Classic" songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I don't know if it will ever top "Pray Where You Are" but it's instantly likable and a great way to end the album.

    ReplyDelete