Saturday, February 12, 2011

Gama Bomb - "Citizen Brain"


Gama Bomb - Citizen Brain
Earache, 2008

1. Zombie Blood Nightmare
2. Evil Voices
3. Final Fight
4. Time Crime
5. Global Warning
6. OCP
7. Hammer Slammer
8. Sentenced To Thrash
9. Zombi Brew
10. Hell Trucker
11. Return of the Technodrome
12. Thrashoholic
13. In the Court of General Zod
14. Space Invaders
15. Bullet Belt

Special thanks has to go to Scott Waters and his website, No Life Til Metal. The other day I was checking his site (as I often do) and saw an entry about a band called Gama Bomb. He said they were straight up 80's thrash so I had to check them out. A quick trip to Itunes was all I needed. I immediately ordered Citizen Brain. Gama Bomb seems to be about two things: thrash and nostalgia. They are a speedy brand of thrash that some say sounds like Nuclear Assault or D.R.I. I can't really say having never heard those bands. It actually reminds me a little of The Crucified's first album. The lyrics are pure fun though. It seems like they've picked through all the cool stuff of the late 80's/early 90's. There's a song about the arcade game Final Fight, one about Robocop, one about Superman II, there's even one about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. While the lyrics can be crude at times I think everything is done very tongue-in-cheek, and thus, very entertaining. I suppose if I had one criticism it would be that most of the songs have the same tempo: furious. Of course that's part of the point as they eschew any "progressive dross" as they call it in favor of full throttle thrash. So... I don't know if I'd want album after album of this (unless they start writing good hooks as Mr. Waters suggests) but as it stands Citizen Brain is a fun trip to the 80's. Strap on your Bullet Belt!

Useless Fact: In the liner notes they've got actual screen shots of Nintendo games. Castlevania III is one of them. The album ends up being pretty appropriate for the project I'm doing over at my other blog: 30 Days of Nintendo. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment