Monday, September 5, 2011

Harmony - "Chapter II: Aftermath"


Harmony - Chapter II: Aftermath
2008, Ulterium/Nightmare

1. Prevail
2. Aftermath
3. Rain
4. Don't Turn Away
5. Kingdom
6. Silently We Fade
7. Inner Peace
8. Weak
9. I Run
10. Hollow Faces
11. End of My Road

I've been selling some of my old video game strategy guides lately and that allowed me to scrape together enough money to buy some new music. Harmony is a band I've heard samples of for awhile now and I've really enjoyed them. I'm pleased to report the album itself is absolutely killer. Harmony play a style of progressive euro-power metal not unlike bands like Balance of Power. I think what struck me first about this band is the vocalist. He reminds me a little of Lance King (from Balance of Power - surprise, surprise) and Stryper's own Michael Sweet. It's been awhile since I've heard vocals of this type executed so well. The other thing I like about this disc is that the keyboards are shoved into the background. Sometimes in this particular genre the keyboards are too "up front." They overpower the riffs rob the songs of their heaviness. Not here, though. Here the keys are just what they should be - garnish. They add a little atmospheric gothic flair to the music allowing the album to showcase its awesome, heavy riffage. Also, hooks galore here. Really good catchy hooks that keep me coming back. In fact, I can't think of anything negative about this disc. It's a great way to kick off the start of the fall season!

Useless Fact: While the album title is "Chapter II," I don't think the bands albums follow any kind of story. That and I don't really know enough about this band to provide a really interesting fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment