Monday, January 18, 2016

Spock's Beard - "Day For Night"



Spock's Beard - Day For Night
1999/2007, Metal Blade

1. Day For Night
2. Gibberish
3. Skin
4. The Distance To The Sun
5. Crack The Big Sky
6. The Gypsy
7. Can't Get It Wrong
8. The Healing Colors of Sound, Pt. 1
9. My Shoes
10. Mommy Comes Back
11. Lay It Down
12. The Healing Colors of Sound
13. My Shoes (Revisited)
Bonus Tracks
14. Day For Night (Demo)
15. Gibberish (Demo)

A friend of mine had me listen to a couple tracks off this album years ago. At the time my reaction was, "Meh" because I was a fool. I went back to check out some samples and for some reason really twigged on to it. I got the CD for Christmas and... whoa. What the heck was my problem back then?! Day For Night is not only a fine album, it's has been one of the best albums I've listened to all year. The one thing that struck me is just how accessible it is. Sure, it's progressive but listening to it isn't challenging at all. It's almost like putting on a comfortable pair of shoes or easing into a warm bath. Songs are immediately engaging and the melodies are infectious. Better yet - the album has staying power. Songs like "Skin," "Lay It Down," and "The Healing Colors of Sound" are simply beautiful. I'm so glad I got this album as it's probably going to be inducted into my mental Hall of Fame as an album that is sewn into my heart. Wow... that was cheesy but totally true. Simply fantastic.

Useless Fact: I have the reissue which has two extra demo tracks. Also, "The Healing Colors of Sound, Pt. 1" begins what is really one big long song, just broken up into different tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment