Friday, May 11, 2018

Judas Priest - "Firepower"



Judas Priest - Firepower
2018, Epic

1. Firepower
2. Lightning Strike
3. Evil Never Dies
4. Never the Heroes
5. Necromancer
6. Children of the Sun
7. Guardians
8. Rising From Ruins
9. Flame Thrower
10. Spectre
11. Traitor's Gate
12. No Surrender
13. Lone Wolf
14. Sea of Red

I've never been a big Judas Priest fan. Sure I like "Breaking the Law" and "You've Got Another Thing Coming" but nothing beyond that. Not that I hate them or anything - I just never got into them. So it probably seems weird that I would pick their latest album instead of one of their classics. However, the buzz around this album was really positive. Like... "this is one of their best albums in a long time, maybe ever." So I checked out some samples and I'll be darned if I wasn't hooked from the title track onward. This is a great traditional heavy metal album. If you like NWBHM, that's what this is - only with some modern production. Speaking of which, the production is very clean with a fantastic guitar tone that's crunchy and heavy. Halford's vocals are great - he's still got it. Though I do wish he'd hit the high notes a bit more often. I'm not sure if I'm ever going to do a Judas Priest project, but I tell you what, Firepower is probably the first album of 2018 that really stuck with me. Oh... and it has really awesome cover art.

Useless Fact: Did you know Rob Halford was gay? I know! Right? I'm shocked. (I really don't know too much about Judas Priest if you couldn't tell).

No comments:

Post a Comment