Sunday, June 20, 2010

Grave Robber - "Be Afraid"


Grave Robber - Be Afraid
2008, Retroactive

1. The Exorcist
2. Skeletons
3. Burn, Witch, Burn
4. Bloodbath
5. Rigor Mortis
6. Buried Alive
7. Screams of the Voiceless
8. Golgotha
9. Reanimator
10. Schizofiend
11. Dark Angel
12. I Wanna Kill You Over and Over Again
13. I, Zombie
14. Army of the Dead
15. Rigor Mortis (Team Cybergiest Remix)

Grave Robber's sophomore album, Inner Sanctum, has been getting more and more playtime on my ipod lately. So naturally I wanted to check out the band's debut. Be Afraid is exactly what I was expecting it to be - fast, raw punk rock that's fun to listen to and makes you feel good inside. This disc is a little more on the punk side of the spectrum than Sanctum but the hooks are still there. I think this one has more horror imagery as well. "I Wanna Kill You Over and Over Again" is a 50's doo-wopish song that was obviously the precursor to "Tell Tale Heart" on Sanctum. I hope this becomes a little Grave Robber tradition because I love those songs! "Army of the Dead" includes a bit more of the metal chugging that would also be on the band's next album. While I can't say this one is as good as Sanctum, that's okay. It was their first album which means they showed improvement. Oh... and it's still loads of fun to listen to .... "WHOA OH OH!"

Useless Fact: My old college buddy Chuck Thomas has some writing credits on here. I wonder if he played on this one any? My version of this album comes with a remix of "Rigor Mortis" which is okay but I've never been able to sit through it all the way if that tells you anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment