Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Prayer Chain - "Shawl"


The Prayer Chain - Shawl
1993, Reunion

1. Crawl
2. Dig-Dug
3. Fifty-Eight
4. Like I Was
5. The Hollow
6. Never Enough
7. Wrounde
8. Grin
9. Big Wheel
10. Pure
11. Worm
12. PsychoFlange

After hearing and absolutely loving their Whirlpool EP my friends and I were going out of our minds waiting for their full length album. When I first heard it, I was not disappointed. It sounds like an extension of Whirlpool for the most part. I reacquired a copy a few years ago but hearing it now... it just doesn't do it for me like it used to. It reeks of the early 90's alternative, which isn't bad but somehow annoys me. Some of the sad-sack lyrics in this one irritate me. I guess when I was a young, introverted, sensitive teenager it really resonated with me, but now I laugh at songs like "Dig-Dug" - so FULL of angst! So much doubt! Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. It's just having worked through a lot of my issues (and still continuing to) I just can't rage at the sky anymore. I'll probably give this another spin at some point and if my opinion changes I'll update this entry.

Useless Fact: The opening track contains the lyric "Shine is dead" because the band was so sick of playing that song from the EP.

No comments:

Post a Comment