Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Moshketeers - "The Downward Spiral"


The Moshketeers - The Downward Spiral
2010, Roxx Productions

1. Sin
2. The Downward Spiral
3. Locked in Chains
4. Ye!
5. The Myth
6. Self Extinction
7. Epicurus
8. Posers of Deceit
9. Grease the Duck
10. Nightmares
11. The Life of Emptiness
BONUS TRACKS
12. Return (1997 Demo)
13. Death or Life (1997 Demo)
14. Thelo Angolia (1997 Demo)
15. Take My Life (1997 Demo)
16. Ye! (1989 Demo)

The Moshketeers were a band that were a little bit like unicorns - a mystical entity that I had only heard about third hand through rumors and other band's liner notes. I had some friends that said they were awesome and the rumor mill seemed to indicate that they were awesome. Unfortunately, we never had much of a metal "scene" in my town so the band remained a mystery. Roxx Productions has reissued the bands one and only album so now I finally get a chance to hear these guys. They were exactly as I expected - plain ol' American thrash. Decent thrash too. I can't say I was completely "wowed" or anything but there's a lot here to like. The disc has been remastered which gives the guitars a nice thick "CHUG-CHUG-CHUG" and the bass is mixed in well which makes things sound nice and heavy. The band experiments with some different sounds going from a stoner/doom type metal in "Self Extinction" to more of a groove-type sound on "Grease the Duck" (a personal favorite). The vocalist sounds a like a cross between Kurt Bachman (Believer) and Joey Belladonna (ex-Anthrax). I'm sure if this band had been signed and released albums they would have taken their place among Deliverance, Tourniquet, etc. as a legendary band. While it isn't quite the awe-inspiring collection of songs that the rumors promised, it's still a really fun listen and I'm glad I bought it.

Useless Fact: When the band started out they were originally known as Rapture. I think The Moshketeers is a way cooler name.

No comments:

Post a Comment