Thursday, March 22, 2012

DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - "And In This Corner..."



DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - And In This Corner...
1989, Jive

1. Then She Bit Me
2. I Think I Can Beat Mike Tyson
3. Jazzy's Groove
4. Everything That Glitters (Ain't Always Gold)
5. You Got It (Donut)
6. The Girlie Had a Mustache
7. The Reverend
8. Who Stole My Car?
9. The Men of Your Dreams
10. Numero Uno
11. Too Damn Hype
12. Jeff Waz On the Beat Box

After the smashing success of He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper, the duo put out this album the very next year. However, I never really heard much from it. I think I saw "I Think I Can Beat Mike Tyson" a grand total of one time on MTV. And In This Corner... didn't match the previous album. This album focuses a little more on wacky stories and such a la "Parents Just Don't Understand." "Then She Bit Me" immediately recalls the creepy vibe of "Nightmare on My Street" but instead of an amusing horror rap it's filled with non-sequiturs and lame rhymes and almost none of it makes sense. It's really annoying and not the way you want to start an album. Also, I think Will Smith flows better when he's just plain rapping instead of telling a story. As a result, while this album is full of old school fun, I don't quite like it as much. The group took some time off after this one to regroup and came back in a big way with Homebase later.

Useless Fact: Well... there's that "Too Damn Hype" song I was talking about but it's completely different from the one I mentioned in my other review. I STILL don't know where I heard that song. Heck, I'm starting to think I imagined it.

No comments:

Post a Comment