Saturday, March 3, 2012

Carman - "The Champion"



Carman - The Champion
1988, Benson

1. Prepare to Die
2. Abundance of Rain
3. Revive Us, Oh Lord
4. A Little Bit More Conviction
5. It Happened to Me
6. The Destination is There
7. Fear Not My Child
8. Love Can
9. The Champion

I've already written a little bit about this album over at my other blog when I was doing my 30 Days of Nintendo series. My aunt and uncle gave me The Champion for Christmas the same year I got my Nintendo. They were trying to get me into Christian music because at the time I was grooving to Metallica's ...And Justice For All. They were the same relatives that would hate Tourniquet years later. So my cousin and I sat in my grandma's computer room and listened to Carman. She was unimpressed (her favorite band was Skid Row). Surprisingly, I liked it. I still do somewhat - the fast songs anyway. Carman's ballads are about as captivating as listening to grass grow. He's still cheesy though. I literally laughed out loud at points. I distinctly remember my dad yelling at me while I listened to this and played Super Mario Bros. The part in "A Little Bit More Conviction" where Carman sings about two brothers going to a "sexy movie show" caused my father to yell, "WHAT KIND OF TRASH ARE YOU LISTENING TO!?" Of course, this is the same man who thought Bride's "Hell No" was about Vietnam.

Useless Fact: Carman starred in a movie called The Champion. The only thing I know about that movie is that Carman totally makes out with an ex-Mexican soap star. I have GOT to see that movie.

2 comments:

  1. I tend to think he's way over the top, and if you've heard one of his you've heard them all. I'm not sure why he was so popular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Robert. The only explanation I can think of is that we were young and didn't know any better!

    ReplyDelete