Wednesday, March 28, 2012

fun. - "Aim and Ignite"



fun. - Aim and Ignite
2009, Nettwerk

1. Be Calm
2. Benson Hedges
3. All the Pretty Girls
4. I Wanna Be the One
5. At Least I'm Not as Sad (As I Used to Be)
6. Light a Roman Candle With Me
7. Walking the Dog
8. Barlights
9. The Gambler
10. Take Your Time (Coming Home)

I really don't know what to say about fun. Well... here goes nothin'. I was originally introduced to fun. by my buddy Uvulapie. He sent me a link to the band's quirky single (and video) "Walking the Dog." I got the album expecting more of that (and there is to an extent) but what I mostly got was something that I'd never really heard before. I guess I'd call it...um... New York City/Broadway/Coffe House pop. Some songs (like the opener "Be Calm" and the closer "Take Your Time") almost sound a bit like showtunes. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just trying to describe it. "The Gambler," a poignant piano ballad, is quite possibly one of the most beautiful songs I've heard in a long time. The lyrics are amazing - telling the story of a couple's life together. Don't know why it's called "The Gambler" though.

Useless Fact: fun. has become pretty trendy lately. A song from their newest album, Some Nights, was featured on Glee ("We Are Young" to be exact).

1 comment:

  1. I don't care as much for their new album. Or much at all, really. Good thing it only cost me $8.

    Also of not is the heavy Queen influence in the vocals and the fact that they recorded a song with Panic! At the Disco.

    ReplyDelete