Sunday, July 1, 2012

Vanden Plas - "Christ 0"



Vanden Plas - Christ 0
2006, Inside Out

1. Christ 0
2. Postcard to God
3. Wish You Were Here
4. Silently
5. Shadow I Am
6. Fireroses Dance
7. Somewhere Alone in the Dark
8. January Sun
9. Lost in Silence
Bonus Track:
10. Gethsemane

Years ago, before the government cracked down on Kazaa, I downloaded this album just to check it out. I remember that I really liked it. For whatever reason I never got around to buying it (probably because it was expensive and hard to find - heck it was still kind of hard to find now!). I even gave the CD I burned to a friend and completely forgot about it. As I was searching for some progressive stuff to listen to I rediscovered Christ 0 and I absolutely adore it. I made it a point to buy it this time! This concept album is a modern retelling of "The Count of Monte Cristo" - only it's really heavy and melodic. Vocalist Andy Kuntz's vocal lines are awesome and infectious. The songs, while progressive, have great hooks and are stinking heavy in parts. The whole album has a bit of a Broadway musical vibe, especially in "Fireroses Dance" and the epic "January Sun." I've heard the band has been involved in theater before so that may have shaped the sound of this album. It's just a stunningly beautiful disc from start to finish and I'm kind of kicking myself for not having bought it the first time.

Useless Fact: As I understand it the band is named after the car model Jaguar Vanden Plas. Occasionally at work people will buy parts for Jaguars and I always hope it's for a Vanden Plas, but it never is.

No comments:

Post a Comment