Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Dream Theater - "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence"



Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
2002, Elektra

Disc One:
1. The Glass Prison
2. Blind Faith
3. Misunderstood
4. The Great Debate
5. Disappear

Disc Two:
1. I. Overture
2. II. About to Crash
3. III. War Inside My Head
4. IV. The Test That Stumped Them All
5. V. Goodnight Kiss
6. VI. Solitary Shell
7. VII. About to Crash (Reprise)
8. VIII. Losing Time/ Grand Finale

I vaguely remember when this came out some fans were upset because this was a heavier, more "modern" album. It certainly is heavy, probably the heaviest the band had done up until this point. The guitars seem a little bit thicker and the production certainly seems more "modern." However, I can't imagine there's really anything here to be upset over. "The Glass Prison" is an awesome ripping tune that begins the album quite nicely (it's also the first part in Mike Portnoy's Alcoholics Anonymous Suite). I also like the ballad "Misunderstood." "The Great Debate" doesn't do too much for me. I don't hate it, but I'm not over the moon about it either. It actually seems a little drawn out to me (it's 13 minutes long - I think it could have been trimmed). The real treat here is the second disc which contains the ultra epic title track. At over 40 minutes long this collection of eight distinct movements runs the gamut from classically inspired passages to some of the heaviest riffs the band has put to tape then back to some beautiful melodic parts. Truly an awesome song and reason enough to buy this if you're a prog-metal fan.

Useless Fact: As most people know "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" is about different types of mental disorders such as bi-polar and autism.

No comments:

Post a Comment