Monday, November 5, 2012

Frost* - "Milliontown"



Frost* - Milliontown
2006, Inside Out

1. Hyperventilate
2. No Me No You
3. Snowman
4. The Other Me
5. Black Light Machine
6. Milliontown

Frost*'s debut, Milliontown, was sent to me by my good buddy Uvulapie. I didn't know anything about the band other than they were on Inside Out so I knew they would be "progressive." Upon first listen I heard a pleasant piano intro. Then the real song dropped in and I said, "Holy s***t!" It was so amazing I used profanity - AND I WASN'T EVEN AT WORK! This is, quite possibly  the most wonderful disc I've heard in quite a while. It is fully progressive with time changes and epic song lengths. It barrows from just many different genres from pop to rock to electronica - even a little R & B in the melodies. Speaking of which the album boasts some pretty evocative, lush soundscapes. As I've said before it's very rare that I form an opinion of a new CD so quickly but this was a no-brainer. Not only is Milliontown one of the best CDs I've heard this year, it is probably one of the best I've heard ever. For reals.

Useless Fact: I don't know anything about this band at all so I don't really have any facts. Oh! They do have another album out called Experiments in Mass Appeal. I have not heard it - but I will.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you love it as much as I do! Frost* is the brainchild of Jem Godfrey, a British producer of a few mega-pop hits so he's no stranger to good melodies. But after doing that for so long he wanted to return to his prog roots. So he purchased twenty or thirty popular, recent prog albums and reacquinted himself with the genre and set out to go one better. The album is supposed to be a concept album about a zombie invasion but I never really picked that up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His videos can be hilarious - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ieCrO8kXBM&feature=relmfu

    Also- be gentle with Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. They're one of my favorites. It helps to know that they don't take themselves seriously at all, they have been hailed as the next King Crimson (who I don't particuarly like but when Tony Levin's band tries to cover a Gorilla song and fails horribly it says something) AND the Headless Corpse Reenactment song's lyrics are actually text from "Finnegans Wake" by James Joyce.

    ReplyDelete