Friday, November 9, 2012

Suicidal Tendencies - "Lights...Camera...Revolution"



Suicidal Tendencies - Lights...Camera...Revolution
1990, Sony

1. You Can't Bring Me Down
2. Lost Again
3. Alone
4. Lovely
5. Give It Revolution
6. Get Whacked
7. Send Me Your Money
8. Emotion No. 13
9. Disco's Out, Murder's In
10. Go'n Breakdown

Suicidal Tendencies was a band I never touched with a ten-foot pole. Nay, even in my Metallica loving youth. As relaxed and groovy as my mom was I don't think she would have ever responded well to me asking, "Hey mom, can I have some Suicidal Tendencies?" Also, they are called Suicidal Tendencies. One day I was just window shopping for some new music and I decided to check them out. They're actually not as bad as their name might imply. This particular album is a bay area thrash/punk fusion similar to D.R.I. or The Crucified. I think it's their third or forth album and they've got their sound nailed down, resulting in some high quality thrash. They've got a healthy dose of humor as well ("You wouldn't know crazy if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch!"). "Send Me Your Money" is the obligatory anti-80's televangelist song. I think it was a law back then to have at least one of these types of songs on your album. Anyway, I don't think I'm gonna rush right out and collect all the band's back catalog, but I'm glad I added Lights...Camera...Revolution to my collection.

Useless Fact: The band is most famous for "Institutionalized" from their self-titled debut. If you ever hear someone yell, "I JUST WANTED A PEPSI! ALL I WANTED WAS A PEPSI!" they're probably referencing that song. Also, Suicidal main man "Cyco" Mike Muir has worked with P.O.D.

3 comments:

  1. I always kinda liked them, but never bought any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend you also pick up "The Art Of Rebellion", which has some real progressive tendencies, and some really good songwriting. It's more "slick" sounding, and definitely a tad overproduced, but it's a fantastic album in its own right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep that in mind. Thank you for the suggestion!

      Delete