Saturday, January 12, 2013

Vanden Plas - "The Seraphic Clockwork"



Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork
2010, Frontiers

1. Frequency
2. Holes in the Sky
3. Scar of an Angel
4. The Sound of Blood
5. The Final Murder
6. Quicksilver
7. Rush of Silence
8. On My Way to Jerusalem
Bonus Track:
9. Elyson

I'm a little disappointed with The Seraphic Clockwork. After the phenomenal Christ 0 I was excited to get another Vanden Plas album. While this album is certainly shows off the band's chops, the songs aren't quite as memorable or as catchy as Christ 0. In fact after several listens I still couldn't recall even one song. It's only now, after several more listens, that I'm able to remember the hooks. It's not bad to listen to at all - it's just not nearly as accessible. Oh, and the story is all kinds of crazy goofballs. Let me try to explain it. There's a 16th century Roman named Tio. He builds a time machine and eventually finds out he's Judas Iscariot. Oh, and there's a woman named Mia, "the Ravenman," and some paper demons that fit in there somewhere too. Tio lives in a world where Jesus was never betrayed and has to go back in time to betray Him. Compared to the more down-to-earth and personal story of Christ 0, The Seraphic Clockwork's lyrics can be hard to attach to emotionally speaking. I'm hoping this will grow on me.

Useless Fact: "Elyson" is a bonus live track that comes from the band's work with musicals, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment