Monday, August 5, 2013

Vanden Plas - "Beyond Daylight"



Vanden Plas - Beyond Daylight
2004, Inside Out

1. Night Walker
2. Cold Wind
3. Scarlet Flower Fields
4. Healing Tree
5. End of All Days
6. Free the Fire
7. Can You Hear Me?
8. Phoenix
9. Beyond Daylight

Beyond Daylight is the kind of album I was hoping The Seraphic Clockwork would be. Since it's before the phenomenal Christ 0, the band isn't so focused on Broadway trappings but riffs and songs. As a result it's a fun listen - full of hooks with just enough of that theatricality to make it interesting. A couple songs, "Healing Tree" and "Can You Hear Me?", are... dare I say, radio friendly. Imagine my surprise. The story is sort of abstract. It's about an oracle who can influence events or something. I didn't even know there was a concept while I was listening. Some might point out that the band (at this point in their career) is copying Dream Theater's template, and they are to some extent. But who cares? As long as the music is good I'm there.

Useless Fact: Oh, I guess the oracle's name is Killroy Murdoch

No comments:

Post a Comment