Thursday, March 27, 2014

Cocteau Twins - "Heaven Or Las Vegas"



Cocteau Twins - Heaven Or Las Vegas
1990, 4ad

1. Cherry-Coloured Funk
2. Pitch the Baby
3. Iceblink Luck
4. Fifty Fifty Clown
5. Heaven Or Las Vegas
6. I Wear Your Ring
7. Fotzepolitic
8. Wolf in the Breast
9. Road, River, and Rail
10. Frou-Frou Foxes in Midsummer Fires

Cocteau Twins is a band that's sort of been floating out there in the ether for a long time. I've heard the name from people whose music I love or whose opinions I respect. I never really checked them out before but not for any particular reason. However, I found Heaven Or Las Vegas at Goodwill for a dollar and decided it was time to check them out. What cinched the deal was the year it was produced: 1990. 1990 was, in my opinion, a fantastic year for music. Upon listening I could immediately tell which band the Cocteau Twins had a profound influence on - The Choir. The Twins make swirly, dreamy, atmospheric alternative music. It's evocative and unique. The female vocalist is light and airy as well, sometimes singing in English and other times singing in... French? Italian? Nonsense? I can't really tell but I can discern only about thirty percent of the lyrics here. From what I've read this was their most successful release.

Useless Fact: There are no actual twins in the Cocteau Twins. I checked.

No comments:

Post a Comment