Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Aerosmith - "Permanent Vacation"



Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation
1987, Geffin

1. Heart's Done Time
2. Magic Touch
3. Rag Doll
4. Simoriah
5. Dude (Looks Like a Lady)
6. St. John
7. Hangman Jury
8. Girl Keeps Coming Apart
9. Angel
10. Permanent Vacation
11. I'm Down
12. The Movie

Permanent Vacation is another one of those nostalgia buys that reminds me of summer vacations. Specifically, with my mom and cousin throughout northern Pennsylvania. My original tape (which is long gone) was purchased from the Columbia tape club. Yes... I ain't lyin' when I call myself "The Old Man." So normally I pick one of these oldies up listen a few times and relive some fond memories and then don't think too much about it again until the next season. With the Aerosmith, however, I was surprised at how much I really enjoyed it. I mean, I always liked it. Heard the singles on MTV all the time. But the whole album is full of really great rock 'n roll. I'd argue that the singles aren't the best tracks here at all (of course, I'd argue that for any band). "Hangman Jury" is a bluegrass/blues inspired track and my absolute favorite on this album. I also like the cover of The Beatles' "I'm Down." The band really knew how to combine hard rock, pop, and blues as this disc seems to be a perfect mixture of all three. I don't know how it stacks up to the rest of their discography, but as a single album it's fantastic.

Useless Fact: Isn't "Dude (Looks Like a Lady)" about Motley Crue's Vince Neil? That's what I heard anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Steven Tyler saying Vince Neil looks like a lady is like the pot calling ... er, whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my introduction to Aerosmith. I borrowed this from a friend, and was blown away by the hard rock sound. It's definitely better than the album that precedes it, and I would say equally as good as the 2 albums that follow it, but doesn't stand up quite as much to their early-mid 70's input. Their 1st 4 albums are untouchable, and essential hard rock listening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aerosmith is definitely on my "need to get more of this band" list. I've never been a huge fan of their 70's stuff but I'm willing to give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete