Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Austrian Death Machine - "Total Brutal"
Austrian Death Machine - Total Brutal
2008, Metal Blade
1. Hello California
2. Get to the Choppa
3. Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
4. All of the Songs Sound the Same
5. I Am a Cybernetic Organism, Living Tissue Over (Metal) Endoskeleton
6. Come With Me If You Want To Live
7. What It's Like to Be a Singer at Band Practice
8. Who is Your Daddy, and What Does He Do?
9. You Have Just Been Erased
10. Boo-Tall Song Idea
11. Here is Sub-Zero, Now is Plain Zero
12. So Far, So Good, So Let's Talk About It
13. Screw You (Benny)
15. If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It
16. It's Not a Tumor
17. Not So Hidden Track
Listening to Austrian Death Machine's first disc is a little bit like playing the original Final Fantasy after having played Final Fantasy VII. It's good but in going backward you loose some of the charm. That's kind of how I feel about Total Brutal. I loved Double Brutal. Loved the jokes, the songs, the impersonator. On this debut though nothing is as funny or as entertaining though if I would have heard this one first, it probably would have been just as awesome as Double Brutal. The "Ahnold" impersonator isn't nearly as good and I don't think there's as many memorable songs here either. I do like "I Am a Cybernetic Organism..." especially because of the melodic chorus that is a nice diversion from the usual angry growls. Also, "Get to the Choppa" is awesome as well as "Who Is Your Daddy, and What Does He Do?" Otherwise though everything is a step down which is good in the fact that it's the band's debut and they improved on their next disc. So yeah here's how it is Total Brutal = Final Fantasy 1, Double Brutal = Final Fantasy VII (or whatever your favorite one is - for me it's a toss up between IV, VI, and XII).
Useless Fact: Anybody know what "Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers" is from? I seem to remember seeing a movie with Arnold saying that but I can't remember which one.