Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Poor Old Lu - "Mindsize"


Poor Old Lu - Mindsize
1993, Alarma

1. More
2. All Pretty For the TV
3. So Good To See Me
4. In Love With the Greenery
5. Sometimes Cry
6. Do I?
7. Tried and True
8. Cruciality
9. To Be Awake
10. Tigger's Daily Jog
11. Peapod
12. Shine

I used to love Mindsize back in the day. Loved it. I was a freshman in high school and I almost wore out my original tape. I'm not sure what it is but upon hearing this now I don't really get it as much as I did as a young 'un. Not sure why. I can say that while I found the vocalist unique before I find him a little grating now. This certainly isn't a bad disc but my affection for it has waned as has my affection for the band. Also - is it just me or did every alternative band back in the day have to have a song named "Shine"? Seriously, look it up.

Useless Fact: For the few who don't know the band's name comes from C.S. Lewis's The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. Specifically the line, "Poor old Lu, been gone so long no one noticed."

1 comment:

  1. It's funny,I got this when it came out, and as the album started I initially thought the singer's voice was unique. But, the more songs I heard, the more annoying I found his voice (or was it just his delivery?) to be. I don't think I was ever able to listen to a Poor Old Lu album all the way through in one sitting (I only had Mindsize and the follow-up).

    And I think you're right about every alternative band having a song called "Shine" (or at least one with the word shine in the title). I've wondered the same thing myself. I blame the band Collective Soul for starting that trend.

    ReplyDelete