Thursday, April 29, 2010

Lady Gaga - "The Fame Monster"


Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster (Deluxe)
2009, Interscope

Disc One: The Fame Monster
1. Bad Romance
2. Alejandro
3. Monster
4. Speechless
5. Dance in the Dark
6. Telephone
7. So Happy I Could Die
8. Teeth

Disc Two: The Fame
1. Just Dance
2. Lovegame
3. Paparazzi
4. Pokerface
5. Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)
6. Beautiful, Dirty, Rich
7. The Fame
8. Money Honey
9. Starstruck
10. Boys, Boys, Boys
11. Paper Gangsta
12. Brown Eyes
13. I Like It Rough
14. Summerboy

Yep. I like Lady Gaga. I like Lady Gaga enough to get this two disc set of The Fame and The Fame Monster. I've always liked pop music. I'm not one of those people that have to change the station when Britney or whoever the flavor-of-the-month (I think it's Rhianna right now) is comes on. Despite my love for metal and bands like Daniel Amos I'm not a musical snob. I like what I like -and I love me a good pop song. Lady Gaga knows how to write good pop songs. Though a good pop song is not enough for me to drop money on an album, so the question remains: why this? Well, I personally think there's a lot more to Lady Gaga than meets the eye. Where most pop divas are influenced by Madonna, Britney, and the like, I think the Lady Gaga is influenced more by the likes of David Bowie, Elton John, and Queen. Think I'm wrong? Watch any live performance she's done - with her crazy outfits and theatrical stage antics (i.e. I remember one on Saturday Night Live where she was wearing a silver jumpsuit with a giant gyroscope around her or something - made it hard for her to play the piano!). Admittedly there's some Madonna in there too, I'll not deny it. And while musically she pretty much stays in the club/dance genre there are a couple tracks like "Speechless" and "Brown Eyes" where you really pick up on that 70's influence too. Then she's got tracks like "Summerboy" which almost sounds like something The Ting Tings or The Cardigans might do. She also gets some more respect from me because unlike Rhianna, Katy Perry, Britney Spears, etc., Lady Gaga can sing - and does. She's never lip-synced any live performance I've seen of hers and she still sounds good. So there. Mock me if you must but I'll stand by my tastes!

Useless Fact: Lady Gaga went to Catholic school... which explains a lot, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment