Monday, April 26, 2010

Taylor, Steve - "Now the Truth Can Be Told"


Taylor, Steve - Now the Truth Can Be Told
1994, Sparrow

Disc One:
1. I Want To Be a Clone
2. Whatcha Gonna Do When Your Number's Up?
3. What Ever Happened To Sin?
4. Bad Rap (Who You Tryin' To Kid, Kid?)
5. Meltdown (At Madame Tussuad's)
6. Sin For a Season
7. Guilty By Association
8. Hero
9. Am I In Sync?
10. Baby Doe
11. This Disco (Used to be a Cute Cathedral)
12. To Forgive
13. Drive, He Said
14. I Just Wanna Know
15. On the Fritz
16. Lifeboat

Disc Two:
1. We Don't Need No Color Code (Live)
2. You Don't Owe Me Nothing (Live)
3. Under the Blood
4. Bouquet
5. I Blew Up the Clinic Real Good
6. Jim Morrison's Grave
7. Innocence Lost
8. What Is the Measure of Your Success?
9. Since I Gave Up Hope I Feel a Lot Better
10. Svengali
11. A Principled Man
12. Harder to Believe Than Not To
13. Murder in the Big House
14. Escher's World
15. Violent Blue
16. Winter Wonderland
17. Dream in Black and White
18. Shark Sandwich

I don't ever listen to this as I don't really need to anymore. I've finally been able to get ahold of the full albums so I don't really need to spin this. I still wanted to put it on here though because it was this collection that really helped educate me about Steve Taylor. Previously I'd only heard Squint. So until this came out I'd never really known how much stuff he'd done previously. Whoever sold this collection to FYE... thank you! Also, to the clerk who priced this collection at a measly $4... thank you too! The collection itself is a good retrospective of Steve's career and has tracks spanning all of his albums (except Squint) including a few Chagall Guevara tracks. The set also comes with a massive book with liner notes written by Steve himself for the songs. It even includes an unreleased track called "Dream in Black and White." My opinion of this song is probably the same as Steve's - it's not that great. He even fudged the recording so that we'll never hear the third verse because he's embarrassed of it. The fact that he doesn't think he's God's gift to music make me like him even more. In short this set is pretty dang cool... and the liner notes are a fun read. Regular followers of this blog might notice that on some of the other reviews I've picked out some tracks I don't like. The fact that those tracks never made it on to this collection is purely coincidental... I swear!

Useless Fact: There is a Now The Truth Can Be Told video out there that I once had and foolishly gave it to a friend while I was in my "non music" phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment