Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Violet Burning - "Strength"


The Violet Burning - Strength
1992, Alarma

1. There is No One Like You
2. The Face of Beauty
3. Stay With Me
4. Undone
5. As I Am
6. Like the Sun
7. Gold
8. Song of the Harlot
9. Eleanor Rigby
10. Through My Tears

The Violet Burning's second album, Strength, could actually be considered a precursor to a lot of the modern worship stuff that's popular today. "There is No One Like You" and "Like the Sun" could probably show up in a modern service today and no one would bat an eye. That's not to say that this was trendy soft rock nonsense (like most "worship" these days). This is very alternative, very psychedelic, very emotional. It includes a decent cover of "Eleanor Rigby" as well. I remember I was listening to this a long time ago and mom popped in my room and said, "Hey, I know this song!"

Useless Fact: The band took some heat over "Song of the Harlot." Naturally because Christians get their pants in a wad with lines like, "If I could be anything/Let me be the whore at your feet." Good song... though I'm not sure how I feel about all the "unworthiness" type lyrics anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment