Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Swirling Eddies - "Let's Spin!"


The Swirling Eddies - Let's Spin!
1988, Alarma

1. Let's Spin!
2. Catch That Angel
3. The Unsuccessful Dutch Missionary
4. The Big Guns
5. Rodeo Drive
6. Ed Takes a Vacation (A Suite)
7. Snowball
8. I've Got an Idea
9. Don't Ask Me How I Feel
10. Ed Again
11. What a World, What a World

The prices on Let's Spin have come down a bit in the past few months allowing me to actually get one for Christmas. I honestly had no idea what I was going to hear when I put this on as the Eddies have changed with each successive album. So what did I discover? Well, it actually has more in common with The Midget, The Speck and The Molecule than any other album (or, rather, the other way around). It's a lot more commercial and a lot more straight forward than I expected. It's not nearly as silly as Outdoor Elvis or nearly as dour as Zoom Daddy. I also have to admit that this is the first Eddies disc that I didn't love immediately upon hearing. I'm not sure why. The songs took me some getting used to for some reason. Though I do love "I've Got an Idea" and it's my absolute favorite song on this disc and one of my favorite Eddies songs overall. I also like the ethereal "Snowball" and "The Big Guns." I find myself wanting to listen to the album more even though it hasn't done for me as much as I thought it would. I have a feeling it will take a while for this to grow on me and when it does it will be one of my favorite albums of all time.

Useless Fact: The band made a video for "I've Got an Idea." It's pretty interesting... or disturbing depending on how you look at it.

1 comment:

  1. I was lucky enough to experience this when it originally came out, so there were no other Eddies albums to compare it to. Loved it then / Love it still. I think "Ed Takes A Vacation" alone is worth the price of admission (but what do I know?).

    Equally useless fact: Supposedly, Let's Spin! (and the whole SE concept) was a sarcastic response to the fact that the DA masterpiece Darn Floor - Big Bite had only sold about 7,000 copies. Naturally, Let's Spin! endedup out-selling Darn Floor - Big Bite.

    ReplyDelete