Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hindalong, Steve - "Skinny"


Hindalong, Steve - Skinny
1998, Cadence

1. Color Wheel
2. To the Wind
3. Candy
4. Winnipesaukee
5. Away With Me
6. Diggin' Your Style
7. Woe is Skinny
8. Skin is Smooth
9. Seven Colors
10. Hey Killer
11. To Be a Blessing
12. Eclipse
13. Love Sanctifies

I've always wondered what this album sounded like. I've seen it in stores before (usually on clearance) but have never been quite curious enough. I listened to samples on Itunes and kinda liked what I heard so I gave it a chance. For the most part I like it when Steve sings on Choir songs even though his voice is, to put it politely, not as good as Derri's. There are some rough spots here vocally, I won't lie, but I still like the songs. I especially like the oddball "Hey Killer" and the groove of "Color Wheel." Some songs are acoustic jams and some are fuzzed up a bit courtesy of Chrissy Colbert. Tim Chandler plays bass as well. I'm surprised Derri is nowhere to be found - not on one single song. All in all - your mileage may very here depending on how much you can deal with Steve's voice. As long as you can give him a little grace in the vocal department you'll probably find something to like on Skinny.

Useless Fact: This album is filled with references to other Choir tunes. "Like a Cloud" is the most noticeable as a lot of the lyrics from that song show up in "Seven Colors."

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of picking this one up. I've got Derri's two albums.
    RetroHound.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get Derri's solo stuff. He's got it up on Itunes... now I just need money.

    ReplyDelete