Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Yankovic, "Weird Al" - "Alapalooza"


Yankovic, "Weird Al" - Alapalooza
1993, Volcano

1. Jurassic Park
2. Young, Dumb & Ugly
3. Bedrock Anthem
4. Frank's 2000" TV
5. Achy Breaky Song
6. Traffic Jam
7. Talk Soup
8. Livin' in the Fridge
9. She Never Told Me She Was a Mime
10. Harvey the Wonder Hamster
11. Waffle King
12. Bohemian Polka

...and so begins my quest to add some "Weird Al" to my collection!

Mr. Yankovic's albums tend to be the most popular when there's a huge pop culture thing going on. Unfortunately, Alapalooza didn't really have a big parody. It also didn't help that what could've been considered the "big" parody wasn't one of his best ("Bedrock Anthem" - I agree with Flea - it's just not his best). However, as is usually the case, despite the fact that it's not one of the popular ones, I love this album. I think "Jurassic Park" is probably one of Al's best parodies in general. Had the general public been more familiar with the original "MacArthur Park" I think this parody would have carried the album farther because it's really funny. "And I think those things will harm me/ 'Cause they sure don't act like Barney/ And they think that I'm their dinner/ Not their friend, Oh no!" Great stuff. I smile every time I hear that line. This album is full of wonderful and funny songs though. I like the glam rock kick of "Young, Dumb & Ugly." I also really dig "Talk Soup" and "Waffle King" both emulating So/Us era Peter Gabriel. I had a girlfriend a long time ago and we loved the short, simple "Harvey the Wonder Hamster." Her, her sister, and I used to sing this song as loud as we could when I would hang out at her house. Finally, this album doesn't feature the traditional polka medley but instead contains a polka rendition of "Bohemian Rhapsody." Cool cover art as well.

Useless Fact: "Waffle King" was actually the B-side of the "Smells Like Nirvana" single. I know this because I actually owned the single in question.

No comments:

Post a Comment