Thursday, July 21, 2011

Crash Test Dummies - "God Shuffled His Feet"


Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled His Feet
1993, Arista

1. God Shuffled His Feet
2. Afternoons and Coffeespoons
3. Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm
4. In the Days of the Caveman
5. Swimming In Your Ocean
6. Here I Stand Before Me
7. I Think I'll Disappear Now
8. How Does a Duck Know?
9. When I Go Out With Artists
10. The Psychic
11. Two Knights and Maidens
12. Crash Course

Have you ever bought a used CD and wondered just how it ended up in the store? How many hands it passed through? Was it liked? Ignored? I only bring this up because I bought this CD at Goodwill for $1.50 and by the looks of it I'm pretty sure it's made the rounds of every pawn shop and Goodwill in whatever cities it's been in. I got this album for three songs: "Afternoons and Coffeespoons," "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm," and "When I Go Out With Artists." The rest of the album is decent but I love those three songs for some reason. These guys are generally considered a one-hit wonder in the states due to the popularity of "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm."

I looked up the meaning to "God Shuffled His Feet" because I was really curious about the lyrics. I didn't find anything definitive (i.e. from the band themselves) but those who claim to be in the know say this song is about there not being a God at all. I guess the video would back that up as it's about a crowd of people entering a theater to see God only to have Him be a puppet controlled by a man behind a curtain. Before I read that I thought the song was about how God doesn't have to prove himself to us or answer our stupid, asinine questions. Oh well... like I said, I only bought this for three songs and the title track wasn't one of them.

Useless Fact: Weird Al did a parody of "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" called "Headline News" in which he sang about various news items of the time (Tonya Harding was one, if I recall).

No comments:

Post a Comment