Saturday, July 2, 2011

Yankovic, "Weird Al" - "Alpocalypse"


Yankovic, "Weird Al" - Alpocalypse
2011, Volcano

1. Perform This Way
2. CNR
3. TMZ
4. Skipper Dan
5. Polka Face
6. Craigslist
7. Party in the C.I.A.
8. Ringtone
9. Another Tattoo
10. If That Isn't Love
11. Whatever You Like
12. Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me

There's just something comforting about listening to one of Weird Al's polka medleys of today's hits. I suppose it's because in the ever-changing world of pop music there's one person we can always rely on to make fun of it: Weird Al. I'm happy to say that after countless albums and nearly 30 years in the music industry Al's still got it. He can still make me smile. That's quite an accomplishment if you ask me. This album is a bit different for me in that I like the originals and the parodies equally. That's not to say the originals aren't as good - I'm saying the parodies are better. Though some of my favorites are originals. Take "CNR" for example, a guitar-driven take on the White Stripes with lyrics about the amazing feats of one Charles Nelson Riley. I also like the somewhat melancholy "Skipper Dan." I don't think I've ever had an emotional connection with a Weird Al song but I guess I can relate to the subject matter. The Hanson-esque "If That Isn't Love" is another highlight as well. Probably the only songs on here that I don't like are "Ringtone" and "Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me." The former is a Queen style parody which seems to be all over the place and the style the song is in actually annoys me(but I don't really like Queen anyway so there's that). The latter is a piano ballad about hating forwards. I started hating forwards in 1999 so this song is nearly 11 years too late. It's not bad, I just don't find it as amusing and not a great way to end an album (at least for me). Aside from that I think Alpocalypse is a strong album and I'm happy to welcome Al back to the spotlight for another fifteen minutes.

Useless Fact: Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek actually plays on the Doors homage "Craigslist." Also, there is a video for every single one of the songs on the album. "Perform This Way" and "CNR" are particularly funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment