Monday, July 25, 2011

Devin Townsend Project - "Deconstruction"


Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction
2011, Inside Out

1. Praise the Lowered
2. Stand
3. Juular
4. Planet of the Apes
5. Sumeria
6. The Mighty Masturbator
7. Pandemic
8. Deconstruction
9. Poltergeist

Being the third album in the Devin Townsend Project four album series, Deconstruction is the heaviest, most dense, most progressive entry. It's demanding and uncompromising. Is it good? I honestly don't know. I was absolutely overwhelmed the first few times I listened to this - especially during the longer songs. There were times during "Planet of the Apes" and "The Mighty Masturbator" where my brain literally could not keep track of the song. I was totally lost. It gets easier with more listens but the fact remains - this disc is a challenge. You literally have to plan a day to listen to it. The concept invovles a cheeseburger, the devil, and the meaning of life, but I couldn't really tell you how it all fits together.

I really like some of the shorter songs "Juular," "Sumeria," and "Poltergeist." It honestly makes me wish Devin would do a really heavy Addicted-type album. It's weird because I usually like Devin's sprawling epic songs but there's usually something to latch onto or a hook that keeps me coming back. Here, though, there's just too much going on. It doesn't seem as cohesive or connected. Of course, I think that's kind of the point but it doesn't make for a frequent player for me. I like all the songs under 8 minutes long. I don't hate the others, though. I hope that as time goes on I can foster more of an appreciation for what's going on here but right now it's work to listen to. Wonderful and strange work, but work nonetheless.

Useless Fact: The album boasts a bevy of guest vocalists including the guy from Opeth (forgot his name) and Floor Jansen who's frequently seen in Ayreon and Star One.

No comments:

Post a Comment