Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Iron Maiden - "Brave New World"



Iron Maiden - Brave New World
2000, Columbia

1. The Wicker Man
2. Ghost of the Navigator
3. Brave New World
4. Blood Brothers
5. The Mercenary
6. Dream of Mirrors
7. The Fallen Angel
8. The Nomad
9. Out of the Silent Planet
10. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

I haven't gotten into a lot of Iron Maiden's later period... Book of Souls notwithstanding. Mostly because I'm not sure what's good. There was a period where Bruce Dickinson left and they put out some albums that have gotten really horrible reviews. I heard through the grapevine that this one was pretty good. It sees Bruce Dickinson back on vocals so that's something. It's not too much of a stretch to say that if you liked the classic Maiden sound then you'd be pretty happy with Brave New World. I know I was. I can see where their penchant for extended galloping jams was really starting to develop. Several songs have extended sections with leads and choruses that could have probably been trimmed by a minute or two. Still a solid Maiden album, though.

Useless Fact: "Out of the Silent Planet" is the title of a novel by C.S. Lewis. I don't think the song is about the book, but I could be wrong. The case can be made, I think.

2 comments:

  1. I'm in the minority in that, I prefer this album's follow-up, "Dance of Death" quite a bit more. "The Wicker Man" was a strong first single, but it overstays its welcome (it's WAY too repetitive at the end), and most of the songs in general are a bit too long. Solid, though. I saw them on this tour with Queensryche and Rob Halford - it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree that some of their later-era songs are in need of some trimming. Especially on Book of Souls...my word. I'll have to check out Dance of Death, though.

    ReplyDelete