Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Angelica - "Rock, Stock, & Barrel"



Angelica - Rock, Stock, & Barrel
1991, Intense

1. The Fire Inside
2. Someone to Believe In Me
3. Cover Me
4. Home Sweet Heaven
5. A Little Love
6. Sail Away
7. Keep Pushing On
8. Bumble Boob Groove
9. Rhyme & Reason
10. Without Words
11. Oh Canada

Ahh...the summer of '91. Good times, good times. One of the things that sticks out in my mind was the Hot Metal 4 compilation. It had videos from Angelica, Deliverance, Tourniquet, etc. This was pretty momentous to my cousin and I because we didn't really have any Christian music videos anywhere unless we bought them. Sure, there was CCMtv on at like 11pm on Saturday, but they sure as heck weren't playing Ransom. To say that video got a lot of VCR time that summer is an understatement (I still have a copy, though I have nothing to play it on). "Cover Me" was Angelica's contribution and it was killer... kind of bluesy and melodic but definitely metal. It's kind of an oddball track because the rest of the album is a lot more metallic and shiny a la Walkin' In Faith. Not that I have a problem with that. I think I might prefer Walkin' In Faith, but Rock, Stock, & Barrel isn't bad by any stretch. I think new vocalist Drew Baca doesn't quite fit as well as Jerome Mazza. He does fit on "Cover Me" but the rest of it... I don't know. Not bad... he just doesn't "click" for me. Also, how the heck did they get away with using the word "boob" in "Bumble Boob Groove?" How did Christian stores everywhere not have a fit?

Useless Fact: Years and years later I was watching a DVD from Third Day and saw Drew hanging out with them. I can't remember if he was an engineer or what. But I was like, "Hey, it's Drew!" and no one knew what I was talking about.

1 comment:

  1. This was my introduction to Angelica, and remains my favorite album by the unit, with their debut (with Rob Rock on vocals) being a close second. I actually quite like Drew Baca's voice, and think he fits well, but then, I didn't have anything prior to compare. As for the use of "Boob" in a song title, the word DOES have multiple definitions, so perhaps they were given the benefit of the doubt?

    ReplyDelete