Saturday, July 14, 2018

Driver Eight - "Watermelon"



Driver Eight - Watermelon
1996, Tooth and Nail

1. Watermelon
2. Polish
3. Cheers
4. Strange
5. Getting This Thing To Go
6. Waiting For Godot
7. Brown Paper Bag
8. Drive
9. Sunbittern
10. Carrousel
11. Superglue

I remember listening to the demo of Driver Eight back in the day at my local Christian bookstore. I also remember really being impressed and wanting to buy it. Shortly thereafter though I got out of music entirely and Watermelon was lost to me...until now. I guess I was in the mood for some mid-nineties indie alternative rock. This album was just the thing to scratch that itch. I also like the lyrics which are Christian in nature but very subtle. Though that was the thing back then. Nevertheless, this disc is quite good and it just proves that, even as a teenager, I had pretty good taste. It's too bad this band never put out any more albums...at least I don' think they did.

Useless Fact: "Driver 8" is the name of an R.E.M. song. I'm pretty sure the band is named after this song. There's definitely some R.E.M. influence in their sound.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the album Things Break by Elim Hall. They only put out that one album in 1986 but it was excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really dig this album, and it's one of a handful of 90's alternative albums I can go back to at almost any time w/o hesitation and get sucked in. I agree, it's too bad they never recorded more, but I suspect Tooth & Nail were banking on some level of success with the group, because they recorded 2 music videos for the album, both of which are on the anthology DVD.

    ReplyDelete