Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Amon Amarth - "Jomsviking"



Amon Amarth - Jomsviking
2016, Metal Blade

1. First Kill
2. Wanderer
3. On a Sea of Blood
4. One Against All
5. Raise Your Horns
6. The Way of Vikings
7. At Dawn's First Light
8. One Thousand Burning Arrows
9. Vengeance Is My Name
10. A Dream That Cannot Be
11. Back On Northern Shores

I wasn't originally going to get Jomsviking as I'm not a huge Amon Amarth fan. I liked Deceiver of the Gods alright and that was kind of enough for me. However, as often happens, I was on vacation and I was seduced by the power of the special edition media book packaging and cool cover art. I like this album, it's got pretty much everything I liked about the last one...only again. Basically, if you're not a fan of Amon Amarth, then you can safely skip Jomsviking. If you are a fan you probably already own this so my words mean nothing to you. This album is the band's first concept album. It's about a young viking warrior searching for his lost love. Spoiler alert: it doesn't end well.

Useless Fact: Doro Pesch provides some guest vocals on "A Dream That Cannot Be" as the lost love. As you can tell by the title, their love is not exactly The Notebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment