Saturday, September 8, 2018

Snider, Dee - "For the Love of Metal"



Snider, Dee - For the Love of Metal
2018, Napalm

1. Lies Are a Business
2. Tomorrow's No Concern
3. I Am the Hurricane
4. American Made
5. Roll Over You
6. I'm Ready
7. Running Mazes
8. Mask
9. Become the Storm
10. The Hardest Way
11. Dead Hearts (Love Thy Enemy)
12. For the Love of Metal

I've never been a huge fan of Twisted Sister. Not for any particular reason, mind you - just never really listened intently to their stuff. I did barrow Come Out and Play a millennium ago and really liked "Be Crool To Your Schuel" and of course I like "We're Not Gonna Take It." So as you can imagine a solo album by Dee Snider didn't really have much appeal to me.

Until I heard it. Oh. My. Word.

I don't know what you're expecting but this is METAL. Like, for real, traditional heavy metal. And man does it sound good. And Dee! His voice is perfect for this album. He's never been the top tier of vocalists but his voice fits perfectly. It's a good example of a time when age has helped a vocalist. He delivers a rough, powerful voice with just enough melody to work. I'm shocked... SHOCKED I tell you - at how good his vocals are here. The guitars are heavy and crunchy. The songs are full of hooks. Kind of a dark horse for me but I'm glad I took a chance on it. Snider himself didn't write all the music, it was some guy named Jamey Jasta who I am not familiar. This really reminded me of the Judas Priest's Firepower in the fact that is quality traditional heavy metal with modern production. If you liked Priest's album - this is right up your alley.

Useless Fact: Howard Jones (ex-Killswitch Engage) lends some vocals on "The Hardest Way." Alissa White-Gluz sings on "Dead Hearts (Love Thy Enemy)."

No comments:

Post a Comment