Monday, February 8, 2010

Lavigne, Avril - "Under My Skin"


Lavigne, Avril - Under My Skin
2004, Arista

1. Take Me Away
2. Together
3. Don't Tell Me
4. He Wasn't
5. How Does It Feel?
6. My Happy Ending
7. Nobody's Home
8. Forgotten
9. Who Knows
10. Fall to Pieces
11. Freak Out
12. Slipped Away

Here's the funny thing about Under My Skin, some people were saying this was a "darker" and "more mature" Avril. That is a load of pure horse-hockey. Under My Skin is just about every 14 year old girl's journal set to music. Every song is about some boy not being nice to her or whatever. The songs all sound the same - a quiet intro/verse with a loud chorus. There are a few flashes of what could possibly, maybe, be considered "mature" if we used the loosest possible meaning (mainly in "Nobody's Home"). I will say, however, that I like the message of "Don't Tell Me." I can't even consider this forgivable, guilty pleasure fun like the first one. This is just teenage moping. Heaven knows we don't need any more of that.

Useless Fact: Did you know that Avril covered Metallica's "Fuel" around this time? Yeah, it was about as bad as it sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment