Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sixpence None the Richer - "Divine Discontent"


Sixpence None the Richer - Divine Discontent
2002, Squint

1. Breathe Your Name
2. Tonight
3. Down and Out of Time
4. Don't Dream It's Over
5. Waiting On the Sun
6. Still Burning
7. Melody of You
8. Paralyzed
9. I've Been Waiting
10. Eyes Wide Open
11. Dizzy
12. Tension is a Passing Note
13. A Million Parachutes

I remember when I got this the first time that I didn't like it much. I thought it was an attempt to cash in on the commercial success of "Kiss Me" with a whole album geared toward the mainstream market. However, I've been giving this a second chance and I have to say I've enjoyed it a lot more this time around. Is it really more commercial? You bet. "Breathe Your Name," "Tonight," and "Waiting on the Sun" are just begging for radio airplay. I've been wondering whether the new direction is something the band wanted to do or something they were pushed into by the label. Though it would seem odd that Squint would push anyone into anything but maybe that was after Steve Taylor left. Anyway, I still enjoyed those pop tunes. Then there's the beautiful and mesmerizing "Melody of You" with the finger-picking guitar strain and Leigh's melodic, soft vocals make that track a standout. I also enjoy the Crowded House cover, "Don't Dream It's Over." The only song I don't really care for is "Dizzy." I'm not sure what it is but I get a little bored with this tune. I don't think this is the best the band has done, but it's a lot better than I originally gave it credit for.

Useless Fact: This was the last disc before the band took an extended hiatus.

No comments:

Post a Comment