Monday, January 11, 2010

System of a Down - "Toxicity"


System of a Down - Toxicity
2001, Sony

1. Prison Song
2. Needles
3. Deer Dance
4. Jet Pilot
5. X
6. Chop Suey!
7. Bounce
8. Forest
9. Atwa
10. Science
11. Shimmy
12. Toxicity
13. Psycho
14. Aerials

CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG-CHUG-CHUG! They're trying to build a prison! So begins the first System disc I heard. Man, that downtuned crunch is so heavy and thick, I can't help but love it. "Chop Suey!" was the first song I heard from these guys back in my first few days of Bible college and I thought they were pretty original. You have to admit that "Chop Suey!" is not like any song you've ever heard before. A lot of people hate the vocals but I think they're unique. Oh... and the whole album is like that - full of hard pounding songs with staccato vocal lines, odd lyrics, a little middle-eastern flair. The chorus of "Needles" almost sounds like a bar song or something. Though my favorite songs are the ones that weren't singles like "Needles," "Deer Dance," "Science," and "Shimmy."

Useless Fact: Do you know what the lyrics are about? Me neither. I don't know and I don't want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment