Friday, January 8, 2010

Ultimatum - "Into the Pit"


Ultimatum - Into the Pit
2007, Retroactive

1. One For All
2. Exonerate
3. Deathwish
4. Blood Covenant
5. Heart of Metal
6. Wrathchild
7. Transgressor
8. Blink
9. Blind Faith
10. Into the Pit
11. Game Over

For as long as I've been reading reviews on Nolifetilmetal.com you'd think I would have checked out Ultimatum before now. Especially since that website served as the direct inspiration for the blog you are reading right now. The author of Nolife, Scott Waters, is also the vocalist for Ultimatum. Ultimatum play straight-forward thrash. No frills, no epic anything, no artsy-fartsy progressivey stuff. Just good ol' thrash... like grandma used to make. Scott's vocals sound like a combination of Bon Scott (AC/DC) and Roger Martinez (Vengeance Rising). The music itself is full of high octane chugging riffs and plenty of face melting solos. The chorus is "Blood Covenant" is majestic and the anthemic "Heart of Metal" fills my metal heart with joy. I counted this disc as one of my favorite musical discoveries of 2009 on my other blog avsherwood1.wordpress.com. I suppose it's time to start collecting some Ultimatum back catalogue eh?

Useless Fact: "Wrathchild" is an Iron Maiden cover, and I think "Blink" has been recorded before on one of the band's past albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment