Friday, December 4, 2009

McKennitt, Loreena - "The Mask and Mirror"


McKennitt, Loreena - The Mask and Mirror
1994, Quinlan Road

1. The Mystic's Dream
2. Bonny Swans
3. Dark Night of the Soul
4. Marrakesh Night Market
5. Full Circle
6. Santiago
7. Ce He Mise Le Ulaingt? (The Two Trees)
8. Prospero's Speech

I love Loreena McKennitt! Her fusion of Celtic, middle-eastern, and European music styles is mixed with just a teensy bit of pop for one of the most unique musical experiences I've ever had. "Dark Night of the Soul," a song about connecting with God, is on my list as one of the most breathtakingly beautiful, heart wrenching songs I've heard. It's perfect in its execution. I usually tend to remix songs in my head (usually making them metal) but I can't do that with this song. The only complain I have is that track 7 clocks in a 9 minutes long and it's just Ms. McKennitt's vocals and almost nothing else. It kind of slows down the momentum of the disc and makes me very, very sleepy.

Useless Fact: Fans already know this, but Loreena always fills the liner notes of her discs with notes about the inspiration of the songs contained on it. I always enjoy that.

No comments:

Post a Comment