Monday, December 21, 2009

Queensryche - "The Warning"


Queensryche - The Warning
1984/2003, EMI

1. Warning
2. En Force
3. Deliverance
4. No Sanctuary
5. NM 156
6. Take Hold of the Flame
7. Before the Storm
8. Child of Fire
9. Roads to Madness
Bonus Tracks:
10. Prophecy
11. The Lady Wore Black (Live)
12. Take Hold of the Flame (Live)

Sometimes I wish I could have been born a little bit earlier. I first heard this album around 2003 or so when this reisuue came out and I really wished I would have been able to hear it when it first came out. It would have been so different from what was out there before - especially considering what most bands were singing about at the time. Granted, it's not too terribly different - swords and sorcery and war. There's a little electronica in "NM 156" about a robot and emotions which foreshadows "Screaming in Digital." Geoff Tate's voice is on point here - heck, he practically invented a style that's been copied by numerous bands (especially Christian ones) like Deliverance, Sacred Warrior, and Veni Domine. While I don't go back to this one as much as some of the others I still believe it is a smokin' metal album. Not quite as heavy as their debut EP, but good all the same.

When I got this I was showing it to a college friend of mine and made a remark about Tate's facial expression in the artwork - puckered up like he was either a) a tough dude or b) going to kiss his grandmother. He dubbed it "The Pucker of Justice."

Useless Fact: This reissue contains "Prophecy" which I don't believe was ever on any official album that I know of - only the Live in Tokyo video.

No comments:

Post a Comment