Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Panic at the Disco - "Pretty. Odd."


Panic at the Disco - Pretty. Odd.
2008, Fueled By Ramen

1. We're So Starving
2. Nine in the Afternoon
3. She's a Handsome Woman
4. Do You Know What I'm Seeing?
5. That Green Gentleman (Things Have Changed)
6. I Have Friends In Holy Spaces
7. Northern Downpour
8. When the Day Met the Night
9. Pas De Chavel
10. The Piano Knows Something I Don't Know
11. Behind the Sea
12. Folkin' Around
13. She Had the World
14. From a Mountain in the Middle of Cabins
15. Mad as Rabbits

Um... Okay... so I guess they want to be the Beatles. They want to be the Beatles really, really bad. Eh... I'm game. I was actually pretty interested in this one because Panic decided to emulate 60's British pop. The results are a mixed bag. The album isn't bad but it's not nearly as catchy or infectious as the last. I like "Nine in the Afternoon" and "That Green Gentlemen" and I especially like "Pas De Chavel" and the slight country vibe of "Folkin' Around." "Behind the Sea" probably is the most Beatles-esque tune and reminds me of "Yellow Submarine" a bit. I'm glad they tried something new, but this is one time where I think they should have just stayed bratty, pretentious emo kids.

Useless Fact: I've heard that the band wanted to do some epic concept album about faeries or some crap before they decided to ditch that idea and do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment