Monday, December 7, 2009

Megadeth - "Rust in Peace"


Megadeth - Rust in Peace
1990/2004, Capitol

1. Holy Wars...The Punishment Due
2. Hangar 18
3. Take No Prisoners
4. Five Magics
5. Poison Was the Cure
6. Lucretia
7. Tornado of Souls
8. Dawn Patrol
9. Rust in Peace...Polaris
Bonus Tracks:
10. My Creation
11. Rust in Peace...Polaris (Demo)
12. Holy Wars...The Punishment Due (Demo)
13. Take No Prisoners (Demo)

Dave Mustaine sobered up for this one... and it shows. Rust in Peace simply slays! The songs are fast and technical and filled with leads. Heck, "Hanger 18" has a whole section just devoted to 'em. Marty Friedman is quite the shredder as well. It seems like all these thrash bands from back in the day had a huge technical achievement album before their sellout album. This one is certainly one of the most technical in the 'Deth discography but I think the hooks aren't quite as apparent. It took me a few listens to really appreciate this one. I must say that "Tornado of Souls" and "Rust in Peace...Polaris" are among my favorite Megadeth tracks. The bonus track, "My Creation" isn't anything to be excited about really, and I don't think the demos are anything worth listening to over and over.

Useless Fact: My edition is the remastered and remixed version. The vocals on some of the songs sound like they were redone - "Take No Prisoners" and "Five Magics" specifically. I don't really care... they sound alright to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment