Friday, December 11, 2009

Metallica - "Death Magnetic"


Metallica - Death Magnetic
2008, Warner Bros.

1. That Was Just Your Life
2. The End of the Line
3. Broken, Beat & Scared
4. The Day That Never Comes
5. All Nightmare Long
6. Cyanide
7. The Unforgiven III
8. The Judas Kiss
9. Suicide & Redemption
10. My Apocalypse

Metallica is finally getting back on their feet, I think. After the disastrous St. Anger the band returns with one of the most proficient, technical and heavy albums since Justice. The songs are fast, heavy, and dense compositions - most of which clockin at 7 minutes or over. I'm not sure that's necessary but as long as the songs are good I'm okay with it. "That Was Just Your Life" is a ripping opener that proudly proclaims its metal-ness. "All Nightmare Long" has an awesome adrenaline fueled chorus that makes me want to throw my fist in the air! "Suicide & Redemption" is one of the finest instrumentals the band has done. No, that's not a typo. I will say that they could have dropped "The Unforgiven III" because it's a very mediocre song and really doesn't have anything to do lyrically or thematically with the other "Unforgivens." While I think Megadeth still trumps them in terms of consistency, I think Metallica is well on their way to getting back on their feet in the fans' eyes.

Oh... one last comment. Some people have commented on the poor mastering. I admit that there is some distortion in the recording, but it was never anything I really noticed that much and it wasn't a deal-breaker by any stretch.

Useless Fact: Hey, look... they're not punishing their bassist anymore. Poor Jason... his only crime was not being Cliff Burton.

No comments:

Post a Comment