Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Daniel Amos - "Songs of the Heart"


Daniel Amos - Songs of the Heart
1995, BAI

1. Can't Take My Eyes Off of You
2. The Glory Road
3. Get Into the Bus, Aloha
4. Evangeline
5. Uneasy Lies the Head of the Confidence Man
6. The Organ Bar
7. Donna Nietche and Her Super Race of Kick Boxing Uber Parrots
8. Our Night To Howl, Time to Go Dancing
9. Sins of the Fathers
10. Turn This Off
11. Love Land
12. When Everyone Wore Hats
13. My Hand to God

This disc is a concept album about the lives of Bud and Irma Ackendorf (pictured on the cover). It's steeped in 50's Americana and is generally another Daniel Amos album that not a lot of fans like. I like it though. It's not quite as awesome or unique as some of the earlier offerings but I enjoy the whole post-WWII motif. The only thing I don't like is that Terry Taylor sings in a lower register and almost talks his way through most of the songs. I think "Uneasy Lies the Head of the Confidence Man" and "The Organ Bar" are my favorites.

Useless Fact: As I understand it the cover art was an actual album that the band found in some studio and used it as inspiration for the album. I can't remember what the couple's actual name was. The Lost Dogs have rerecorded "The Glory Road" for their forthcoming album.

1 comment:

  1. If I have my brain straight, at the time Tim Chandler and someone else had rented space somewhere and were working on real Hollywood scripts. The album art for this album was one of the things they had stuck to their wall for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete