Monday, November 23, 2009

Flyleaf - "Flyleaf"


Flyleaf - Flyleaf
2005, Octone

1. I'm So Sick
2. Fully Alive
3. Perfect
4. Cassie
5. Sorrow
6. I'm Sorry
7. All Around Me
8. Red Sam
9. There For You
10. Breathe Today
11. So I Thought

I originally accused this band of being perceived as better than they actually were. I though that the female vocalist was really all they had and that their music wasn't very substantial without her. I think I was wrong in that assessment. Flyleaf is a great modern hard rock band. Vocalist Lacey Mosley sometimes sounds like a pissed off Leigh Nash (Sixpence None the Richer)... oh, and she can growl. You'd think a little tiny girl growling would sound silly but she pulls it off! The rest of the band combines guitar effects and drop D power chords to churn out some pretty compelling rock songs. "Cassie" is about the girl who was supposedly martyred at Columbine.

Useless Fact: They took the growling out of "Cassie" which was present on their first EP. I wonder why? I liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment