Monday, November 30, 2009

Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton - "Once Upon a Christmas"


Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton - Once Upon a Christmas
1987, BMG

1. I Believe in Santa Claus
2. Winter Wonderland/ Sleigh Ride
3. With Bells On
4. Christmas Without You
5. White Christmas
6. A Christmas to Remember
7. Hard Candy Christmas
8. The Greatest Gift of All
9. Once Upon a Christmas

Ahhhhh! The nostalgia gremlin strikes again! You've got to understand that my childhood was dominated by these two people because my parents listened to country ALL THE TIME. If it wasn't Kenny and Dolly it was friggin' Alabama or Ronnie Milsap. It's not really country though - it's got more of an "Islands in the Stream" adult contemporary/pop sound. Not being totally country mean it doesn't annoy the crap out of me. So... yeah... '87 and I have some good memories of mom getting ready for Christmas dinner and me playing with whatever toys I got watching TV while mom blared this. I liked it then, I like it now. There... I've said it. The stoning may commence!

Useless Fact: This was actually a TV special back when you could actually do a variety special on TV. I do remember seeing it and I've tried to YouTube it but I've never found it. Oh well... maybe somethings are better left in the past.

1 comment:

  1. You are not alone! This album is pure nostalgia for me too. We used to listen to it while we'd drive around and look at Christmas lights. I bought my mom the CD a few years back, mostly so I could rip the songs for my iTunes collection. I was with my family in Myrtle Beach near Christmas last year and these tracks were mixed in with the background music at Dolly's theater.

    I know I saw a few scenes from the TV special on YouTube at some point in the last few years.

    ReplyDelete